An automotive device consists of many different types of equipment. The serpentine belt is one of the mains among them. If something happens to the straps and the belt cracks, many parts of the car start showing up with different issues. Steering, air conditioner, water pump, etc. all these are connected to each other. If one part stops working, then most of the time, the serpentine belt is the reason behind this. You can identify from the symptoms of other parts if it’s time to buy a new belt.
A well structured serpentine belt ensures that a car is running in an untroubled way. People often get confused between the timing belt and serpentine belt. It’s also called a ‘fan belt’ or ‘power steering belt.’ From this article, you’ll get an idea about the symptoms of a bad serpentine belt along with how much does it cost to replace a serpentine belt.
Bad Serpentine Belt Symptoms
You will notice some specific symptoms if the serpentine belt of your car is not in good condition. If you see any abnormal situation in your vehicle, then you must be trying to repair it. Among them, some of the symptoms are extremely risky for your car, as well as your life. Here, I am mentioning some signs if you face these symptoms while driving the car, then maybe it’s high time you changed the serpentine belt.
- Your car’s water pump will not work correctly if there are some issues with your serpentine belt. If the water starts running out, the engine will get overheated and can be very risky for the car’s engine.
- If your car’s air conditioner stops working suddenly, then it can be a symptom of a bad serpentine belt. The AC system is a basic part of a vehicle as well. If it starts showing up with malfunctioning, which may happen for many reasons but it’s better to check on the belt.
- You may face problems while starting the car, leaking of fluid or issue with the power pump can be the reason behind this, but it can be a symptom of the bad serpentine belt too.
- When your serpentine belt has issues with squealing sound may happen frequently. So, whenever you face something like this, maybe you should have a look at your belt too. Otherwise, it’ll keep worsening.
- You must check all the parts and equipment of your car at least once a week. If you find that the belt is chipped, then you should not delay for a single minute and change the belt. The belt is way cheaper than other parts of the car, that’s going it’s better to change the belt as fast as you can.
If you perceive any of the mentioned symptoms ever, then you should take your car to the garage or try to repair it on your own.
How much does it cost to replace a serpentine belt?
When you face problems regarding a serpentine belt, it’s best to change it with a new one as fast as you can. You can buy a belt only for $25 if you are in a shortage of money.
If you want a belt of your choice, then it will cost you up to 75 to 80 dollars. The charge of mechanics will also be added, and you will end up spending a hundred to 200 Dollars in total to change your belt. But if you do this alone, then you will end up saving money equals the price of a new serpentine belt. So, it’s not a piece of costly equipment; you can choose according to your preference for price.
Can I Drive My Car With a broken Serpentine Belt?
Without a serpentine belt, you can drive the car for nearly 90 minutes. But it’s better to change your belt before it becomes worsens. It’s better not to use any vehicle with broken parts, but in case of emergency, you can! But what will you do when driving on a highway, I would suggest you go to a local mechanic shop and change the belt, or you can keep an extra serpentine belt in your car. In this way, you can replace this whenever you want. You must stay alert and cautious. When you notice that your serpentine belt is broken, it’s good to change the belt as soon as you can.
Can you replace a serpentine belt yourself?
In most of the car issues, you have to take your car to the garage and spend a certain amount of time. Isn’t it would have been easier if you could’ve done this at home?
You can replace your car’s serpentine belt all by yourself. You will find lots of videos on YouTube, and those will help you a lot. It takes only about 1 hour to replace the belt, and it becomes more comfortable if you try to sketch according to the structure of the belt. It helps to do the work faster. You can do it very quickly as just by rotating the tensioner of the car, you can replace the belt.
This is one of the most accessible tutorials on YouTube and hopes it will help you out.
If you have a motor-car, you have to keep a certain amount of money aside for repairing purposes. How much does it cost to replace a serpentine belt? This question is asked a lot by people nowadays.
The serpentine belt doesn’t cost much, but you have to pay a lot more than this if other particles of the car get hampered because of a bad serpentine belt. A serpentine belt is a very original part of a vehicle; if any problem occurs, gradually, other components also stops working. So, to avoid unwanted occurrences, it’s better to change the belt as soon as you face problems.
Otherwise, you have to struggle a lot, and you can’t drive the car in speed like you used to drive before. You may not face a massive accident, but you will put your life in danger if it affects other parts to a great extent.